Saturday, April 24, 2010

New Orleans mission trip - having fun








Our mission team left New Orleans on Friday morning. Some of the group came on back Friday night, and the rest came in on Saturday. Today I thought I would post some of the humorous pictures I took during the week. Although we worked hard, we also had a lot of fun, as you can see.
Woody worked hard installing a toilet, so he had an excuse for sitting down on the john-- I mean, on the job. I was caught by surprise in this picture while eating ice cream. We kept playing pranks on one another and acting silly. Julie wanted to recycle the paper lunch bags, so a prankster glued the inside of the bags together so that the next morning when Judy started to make our lunches, the bags wouldn't open. One day they packed a bag for "Sam" and "Roger," when we had nobody on our team by that name, and in one of the bags a mustard and peanut butter sandwich. Somebody tied James's shoes together, and James said he figured something would happen to him, since he was the main instigator of many of the pranks. Items would disappear and then reappear later.
Several times we would get lost, and every time we got lost, we seemed to end up circling the Super Dome. It got to be a joke that we had to come see another side of the Super Dome. Becky got a tiny cut on her arm, and Woody acted like it was a major injury in need of a tourniquet. We saw a poster advertising a concert by a group called "Slighty Stoopid" and that phrase became a favorite phrase if we did anything dumb. Dan the coffee man really enjoyed the coffee and beignets at the Cafe du Monde. In fact, Dan also enjoyed the coffee at the Community Coffee House, and the coffee at Celebration Church, and the coffee at Cracker Barrel, and anywhere else he could find coffee. And I had to include this picture of Glenn pointing to home in the map at the seaport ministry, mainly because it reminds me of all his funny expressions. Here are a few of his quotes:
"Elvis is dead, and I don't feel too good myself."
"I'm like Daniel Boone. I've never been lost a day in my life. I've been bewildered for weeks at a time, but never lost."
"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible with nothing at all for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing at all."

No comments: