Thursday, September 22, 2011

Guest Blog: A Biblical Perspective on Life and Suicide

by Rev. Bryan Gilde, Minister to Students, First Baptist Church, Rincon, Georgia

* God brings hope to any and every situation.

Lamentations 3:21-23 “Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”

* Hope is knowing that life is worth living because as a Christian I will be in heaven when God chooses to take me home. (I am not in charge of when I go to heaven, it is not my choice.)

Colossians 1:23 “Do not be moved away from the hope held out in the Gospel”

* Even though life’s situations may be difficult, God has made a way to save me from these burdens by making a plan of salvation in His Son Jesus Christ. God’s plan for my life is to be in His hands.

Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

* Time is guaranteed to change your circumstances, but change does take time.

Isaiah 40:31 “But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run, and not be weary; and they will walk, and not be faint.”

* I can still live in this world, but not be of it.

John 17:15-16 “My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.”

* This world is not supposed to offer you satisfaction, only God fills the void in our hearts and provides our worth and significance.

John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

* Because of God’s sovereign (complete control) and loving care for me in every situation, remember:

    1. I have freedom from the power and penalty of sin
    2. In any difficulty, I have the promise of victory that Jesus Christ has already attained through His death and resurrection
    3. I have personal support from the Lord Jesus Christ
    4. I have the promise that God will work out trials for my benefit as I live according to His Word
    5. I can have God’s peace and joy in any situation
    6. I have no biblical responsibility to change others—only myself
    7. I can have hope renewed, even if I fail.

Bryan Gilde is Minister to Students at First Baptist Church, Rincon, Georgia. He is a graduate of Berry College and Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. You may email him at students@fbcrincon.com.

No comments: