Tuesday, August 07, 2007

P.R.A.Y.E.R.


Sometimes it helps to have memory aids to prayer. For example, when I go walking, I like to think of my thumb and fingers as memory aids. The thumb is closest to me, and I pray for my wife and family closest to me. The pointing finger reminds me to pray for our church staff, missionaries and teachers who point people to Christ. The tallest finger reminds me to pray for the president and government leaders at the federal, state and local level, as well as our military, firemen and policement, who stand tall for us. The weak finger reminds me to pray for the sick. The smallest finger reminds me to pray for myself, though least important.
Another memory aid to remember the subjects of the Lord's Prayer is the acromynm P.R.A.Y.E.R. Uses Luke's version in Luke 11:2-4 (ESV), it goes like this:
P - Praising the Father: "Father..."
R - Revering His Name: "hallowed be your name."
A - Anticipating His Kingdom: "Your kingdom come."
Y - Yearning for our needs: "Give us each day our daily bread."
E - Eliminating sin: "and forgive us our sins, for se ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us."
R - Resisting temptation: "And lead us not into temptation."

No comments: